- Initial Consultation: Our work starts with time spent between a Thinking Matters adviser and the School Head and Senior Leadership team. We explore your school’s context and the purpose of your interest in adopting the change to a whole school approach to the teaching of thinking. We provide input to your plan to bring about that change, advise on selecting the right drive team to implement your strategy, how best to evaluate its effect and how the approach supports government inspection requirements.
- Drive Team Day 1 - Action Plan: Once your drive team has been selected we spend the first Drive Team Day at your school, sharing best practice from the schools we have worked with on how to implement successful change. The Drive Team Day introduces our approach to the teaching of thinking and learning as well as some of the practical, classroom based strategies that can be used to embed thinking and intelligent learning behaviours across the whole school. Following the Drive Team Day we continue to provide support as your Drive Team prepares it's Thinking School Action Plan and the best approach to introduce the vision to the whole school staff.
- Drive Team Days 2 and 4 - Development Days: Once the Action Plan is agreed, we return to the school for the Drive Team Development Day. Depending on your schools requirements, your Drive Team decide whether that day should be based around Developing Cognitive Capacity or Developing Intelligent Behaviours. The day covers indepth training of the relevant tools and strategies for the Drive Team.
- Drive Team Days 3 and 5 - Follow up days: Each Drive Team Development Day is followed by a period to time for the Drive Team to familiaries themselves with the relevant tools and strategies. Thinking Matters will then provide a follow up day to address any problems, issues and confirm understanding. Once the Drive Team feel they are ready they can start training the staff and embedding the approach across the whole school. It can take at least two terms, if not a whole school year to fully embed each of the Development approaches.
- Ongoing Support: Throughout the process of becoming a Thinking School we continue to work with your leadership, drive team and whole school staff by providing support on implementing and sustaining the appropriate change process, evaluating its effects and providing training expertise on the thinking tools, behaviours and pedagogy that underly the Thinking Matters approach.
Take a look at our brochure outlining the Thinking Matters Approach and how we work with your school.View Brochure